Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Stewpot

So we did one of my favorite things today: COMMUNITY SERVICE :-) It was at a place called there stew pot which is community center for the homeless/chronically homeless and poor. It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen for that community. They had a fully equipped dental office and just got a grant where they can have a doctor there for 40 hours a week. They run youth programs teaching enrichment, homework help and teaching about the importance of college including going on college tours. There was also a voicemail system so these people could be reached for jobs or family etc. They had an absolutely amazing art program and the paintings filled the hallways. Some of the most amazing work I have ever seen.  They also had a community garden which is amazing!

I felt really awful as I walked in with $70 gap jeans (I've had for two years) and $60 merrills that I received for Christmas awhile back. Then being able to somewhat afford going to $40000 private institution even though I complain about it. Or being able to come to Texas for $300 and have everything included. It just boggles my mind.

We had two tasks. 1. Organize coasts and 2. Organize supplies. They ask the community of Dallas to make a donation in a wrapped (in Christmas paper) shoe box with x,y, and z in it. There was razors, soap, batteries, toothbrushes, etc. One thing that people were a little shocked about at first (maybe it was just because Dr Surbrug had them) was condoms. Since my aunt travels to Africa to area where AIDS is very prevalent it wasn't very shocking to me but more thank woo yay for safe sex! Something I never thought of is as a women and being homeless what do you do when you have your period? Tampons are pretty expensive so it was nice to see them donated too!

In the end we organized 165 boxes :) I was pretty excited and felt accomplished!

Something that I challenge you to do: every hotel from here on out. Take the shampoos, conditioners etc.  and donate them to a locate homeless shelter or check out thestewpot.org and send them to Dallas. They have over 6,000 homeless. Everything you can do will help!

Over and out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment